Canvas Cover Care and Fitting
When you have purchased your new Regentex canvas cover here is a few things you will need to know…..
- Your new cover may initially leak a little at the seams and where any little needle holes are at first.
- Submerge the cover in water or give it a good soaking with a hose before putting it on your horse. This will allow the stitching and the fibers to swell and close up any holes that might let the water in.
- Put your new cover on slightly damp to help with the fitting process.
- When fitting your new Gregory Cover place it on the horse and pull it up to the soft spot above the wither.
- We recommend doing up the front strap for the first few days as firm as you can (top two holes) as the canvas will be quite stiff. This will allow the canvas to mold to the shape of your horse so you get the best fit.
- Adjust the leg straps equally until there is room for the width of one hand equally (4-5”) between the legs straps and the horses thigh.
- The leg straps are linked to prevent rubbing and act with each other to pull the rug into place. If the leg straps are too loose, the rug will slip.
- When doing up the back clips on the cover, clip them facing towards the horse. This means when the horse scratches, the back clips don’t get caught on anything. The excess of the leather straps can also be treaded back through the dee rings for extra safety.
Cleaning – Clean your Regentex Canvas cover with a soft brush and warm water. Do not use detergent as this will harm the water proofer already on the Canvas.
Storage- Ensure your Cover is completely dry before packing away- Ideally hang on a rug rat which is well ventilated. Oils all leather components on the cover before each season.
Repairs – Check your cover regularly for any tears and holes. Have them repaired as soon as you can to prevent further damage.
Reproofing – We recommend reproofing of Regentex® canvas products after prolonged exposure to the elements. Bradmill Outdoor Fabrics’ Bradproof® is recommended for this purpose. It is non-flammable and easy to apply. Do not apply to new canvas – it is unnecessary and may lead to impairment of appearance
- Brush off dry dirt
- Hose down with cool water
- Use a soft bristled brush with clean water to treat soiled areas
- Rinse with cool water
- Leave extended to dry in warm circulating air
- Re-use once completely dry
- Re-proof when necessary
- Hot wash, dry clean or tumble dry
- Use high pressure hose which may damage the proofing
- Use biological detergents which may adversely affect the proofing characteristics
- Store when wet